Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mother Superior



“Be glad when that happens…” – Luke 6:22



Good morning, Mother Superior,” someone greeted me, and everyone started laughing.
I was with a Philippine media group on a familiarization tour of Hong Kong. During dinner, I made the sign of the cross and said grace before eating. One of my colleagues saw me and asked, “Are you Born Again?”
“Catholic Charismatic,” I said. She asked some more questions so I blabbered on about my spiritual renewal. Word must have gotten around because the next morning, everybody was calling me Mother Superior. I kind of felt persecuted and, I must admit, started regretting that I ever talked about my faith. But I remembered the teachings on persecution like the one mentioned in today’s Gospel.
So, trusting God’s promise that the downtrodden and the persecuted would be blessed, the next time someone teased me, I smiled and replied, “Hello, Sister.” And before I knew it, throughout the trip, the ladies were being called “Sister,” the men “Father,” and our leader, “Monsignor.” They simply got a kick out of their new titles.
Had I forgotten the Gospel when I felt persecuted, I would have missed the opportunity to infect my friends with a dose of my faith. (By Cynthia Santiago)

REFLECTION:
Stand up for Jesus.

Lord, grant me the grace to seize every opportunity to share You with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment