Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Just Ask




Let no one deceive himself. If any one among you considers himself wise in this age, let him become a fool so as to become wise. – 1 Corinthians 3:18

He who asks is a fool for five minutes. He who does not remains a fool forever. A lot of people think they are wise yet they do not ask.
One of my faults (as with most men, I think) is that I tend to rely on my instinct and knowledge when it comes to directions. Once, we drove to an unfamiliar place looking for a friend’s house. We were lost yet I didn’t ask for help. It was only when we hit a dead-end that I asked. If I had done that earlier, we could have found the house 40 minutes earlier.
Some people think it’s beyond them to ask, especially when it comes to faith. Many Catholics convert to other religions because “Catholics worship Mary when the Bible says we should worship only God.” If only they had the courage and humility to ask, they would have known the real answer: Catholics worship only one God. We venerate Mary and place her in high esteem because of her special role in God’s plan of salvation. If you have questions about our faith, ask a priest, community elder, a church/canon expert or look it up in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
That way, you need not wander for long. (By Jun Asis)

REFLECTION:
What questions do I have about my faith? Have I asked somebody dependable, trustworthy and knowledgeable?

Give me, Lord, the humility to admit that I do not hold all the answers to life’s questions and the courage to ask for help.

St. Rosalia, virgin, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment