Thursday, September 4, 2008

Let the Lord Judge






My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. – 1 Corinthians 4:4

“God was with us when we did it.”
An actress said this on national television years ago. She was referring to the sexual act that she committed with an actor boyfriend who eventually sired her first child. Apparently, she must have thought that premarital sex is some thing that God approves of.
Once I asked my students if they thought cheating is unethical. Many of them said, “It depends.” Somehow, in the complexities that we have created in our lives, we have lost our inner compass, our sense of divine integrity that the Creator has embedded in us.
The poet Edgar Guest says it clearly in his poem “Am I True To Myself?”:
I don’t want to keep on a closet shelf
A lot of secrets about myself,
And fool myself, as I come and go
Into thinking that nobody else will know
The kind of man I really am;
I don’t want to dress up myself in sham.
So, do you really want to know who is innocent? Let the Lord judge you in your thoughts and actions. (By Red Cerrer)

REFLECTION:
Are your actions in line with your values? With your faith?

Father, create a clear mind and heart in me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment