Wednesday, September 10, 2008

5-6



“If you lend money to those from whom you expect repayment…” – Luke 6:34



Papa was one of the Indians or Bumbay who pioneered lending (“5-6”) in Manila.
He would come home before the sun sets, empty his pocket with all the money he collected that day, then my elder brother and I would count them, arrange them, and give them back to him. We grew up doing that every single day.
One afternoon, I asked Papa a most interesting question: “If people cannot repay you, what would you do?” He answered with confidence, “I forget about his obligation and find another person in need.” Then he gave me an advice that I still remember to this day. He said, “If you are going to lend people money, be sure that you are willing to let go of that amount, not expecting it to return to you. So, lend only what you can afford to lose.”
To this day, when people in dire need ask for my financial help, I follow Papa’s advice. I give only what I can afford to lose. But of course, I still ask them to pay me back when given a chance, and if they can already afford it. Some do pay; others are still on the run. Regardless, my standard is justice; but over and above it, love. (By Arun Gogna)

REFLECTION:
Do you owe people money? Pay up so blessings would come.

Give me a generous heart for those who are in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment